Township straddling boundary between Kendal, Shap and Orton parishes, Kendal ward, Westmorland. In 1935 Fawcett Forest CP absorbed parts of Orton, Shap and Whinfell CPs.
6,470 acres [2,618 ha] before boundary changes. Walshaw Common and Hazel Bank (307 acres [124 ha]) enclosed 1870.
sparsely populated; falling from 81 in 1801 to 51 between 1851 and 1871, 37 in 1901, and 23 in 2001.
granted to Byland Abbey (Yorks.) in 12th century. After Dissolution acquired 1554 by Bellingham family of Levens (q.v.), with which it descended.
hill farming; grouse shooting; small-scale quarrying.
Places of worship:
Schools and other institutions: