Chapelry in St Bees parish, Allerdale above Derwent ward, Cumberland, containing townships of Ennerdale and Kinniside and extra-parochial waste of Copeland Forest or Stockdale Moor.
22,407 acres [9,068 ha], of which Kinniside township contained 6,722 acres [2,720 ha], Ennerdale 13,178 acres [5,333 ha] and Copeland Forest or Stockdale Moor 2,507 acres [1,015 ha]. Ennerdale Fell (7,637 acres [3,090 ha]) was enclosed 1872. Kinniside Common (5,189 acres [2,100 ha]) and Stockdale Moor (2,495 acres [1,010 ha]) remain unenclosed.
estimated at 395 in 1688. Across first half of 19th century, Ennerdale contained c.190 inhabitants and Kinniside in range 200-250. Combined population of townships declined from peak of 666 in 1871 to stand at 240 in 2001.
part of Copeland forest. At partition of barony of Egremont (q.v.) 1338, Ennerdale was assigned to Harrington share; descended to Grey family; escheated to crown 1554; leased to Sir James Lowther 1765 and bought outright by earl of Lonsdale 1822. Kinniside was assigned to Fitzwalter share of barony as part of ‘Middleward’ of Copeland forest and descended with barony of Egremont (q.v.) from 16th century.
predominantly hill farming (sheep fair at Ennerdale Bridge in 19th century) and (from 1925) forestry. Medieval bloomery site at Smithy Beck; iron mines (let to Patrickson family) recorded 1688. Lead-mining at Kinniside from later 18th century, peaking in 1820s; closed c.1855; lead smelter in operation in 1820s. Water supply: Ennerdale Water supplied Whitehaven’s water from 1885; new works opened 1995. Meadley Reservoir (in Kinniside) supplied Cleator Moor from 1880s; drained 2010. Youth hostel and field centre at Gillerthwaite at head of Ennerdale, later 20th century.
Places of worship:
chapel of ease at Ennerdale Bridge recorded 1534; rebuilt as St Mary’s church 1856. Wesleyan Methodists met in farmhouse (possibly How Hall) before 1800. Supposed remains of Catholic chapel there mentioned 1847.
Schools and other institutions:
parochial school at Ennerdale Bridge by mid-19th century; rebuilt 1878; now Ennerdale and Kinniside CE Primary School.