Chapelry and township in Brigham parish, Allerdale above Derwent ward, Cumberland.
3,948 acres [1,598 ha]. Commons totalling 3,150 acres [1,275 ha] in Embleton and Setmurthy enclosed 1824.
rising from 292 in 1801 to 442 in 1831, then slowly declining to stand in range 350-380 for much of later 19th and first half of 20th century; further decline to 297 by 2001.
manor of Embleton (which excluded surrounding wastes in forest of Derwentfells) granted to Orme de Ireby 1195. Descended through Ireby family for several generations; later purchased by Thomas Brathwaite of Warcop (after 1589); his grandson Richard sold it to Philip Lord Wharton before 1688.
predominantly agricultural. Drainage tile manufacture at Hundith Hill mid-19th century; short-lived lead-mining near Stanley Hall 1853 to 1860. Granite quarrying at Close Quarry (also known as Embleton Quarry), opened 1907; closed 1950.
Places of worship:
medieval chapel of ease, recorded c.1210; St Cuthbert’s church, built 1806, probably on same site. Wesleyan Methodist chapel built 1863; rebuilt 1903; closed 1970
Schools and other institutions:
school taught in chapel by curate in early 18th century. Embleton and Wythop Voluntary School (situated near Wythop Mill) built 1808; closed 1978. Village hall, rebuilt 2009.
Askew, John, Guide To The Interesting Places In And Around Cockermouth With An Account Of Its Remarkable Men And Local Traditions (Cockermouth, 1872).
Bradbury, J. Bernard, A History of Cockermouth, (London and Chichester, 1981) OR Bradbury’s History of Cockermouth, (Cockermouth and District Civic Trust, 2006).
Denman, Derek,The Hundith Hill Tile Kilns, Lorton &Derwentfells Local History Society Journal, No. 32 May 2004
Hartland, W.R., The Church of St. Cuthbert, Embleton, Cumbria: A Short History (1987)
Stayte, Sheila, ‘Low Stanger Farm, Embleton 1635-1958’, Lorton &Derwentfells Local History Society Journal, No. 42 August 2008
Winchester, Angus, Landscape And Society In Medieval Cumbria, J Donald Publishers Ltd. Edinburgh, 1987. Although having a wider theme this book makes substantial references to medieval Embleton.
‘When The Well Informed Cumbrians Took To Drink’, Lorton &Derwentfells Local History Society Journal , No. 35 May 2005 - An excerpt from an article referring to Stanger Well.
Note: The L&DFLHS Archive holds ‘a valuable collection’ of material on Wythop and Embleton assembled by the late Ann Bowman who researched the history of Wythop Mill.
While there are references to Embleton in general articles, no references to substantive research on Wythop have been found in the Transactions of CWAAS.
[Compiled by S. Shaw]