Dunnerdale with Seathwaite
Township in Kirkby Ireleth parish, Lonsdale hundred, Lancashire North of the Sands.
10,272 acres [4,157 ha], much of it unenclosed fell common.
rising from 143 in 1821 to 155 by 1851; then sharply to 289 in 1861. Peaked at 299 in 1881, then declined gradually to 119 in 2011.
part of section of Furness Fells allotted to William de Lancaster c.1160. Granted to Roger de Kirkby c. 1170, passing through Kirkby family until sold 1497. Held by earl of Derby after 1521; sold to Hesketh family 1610, but was sequestered by parliament c.1644; afterwards held by Penny family who sold it to Richard Towers of Duddon Hall after 1788. Towers’ estates passed to Maj. W. S. Rawlinson 1860 and to G. H. Cheetham 1903.
hill farming; medieval bloomeries; lead and copper mining, early 19th century; yarn spinning mill at Seathwaite, recorded 1820s; large-scale slate quarrying at Walna Scar and Stainton Ground in later 19th century.
Places of worship:
chapel of ease at Seathwaite recorded 1547; enlarged 1796; rebuilt as Holy Trinity Church 1874. Holy Innocents’ Chapel, near Broughton Mills, built 1887.
Schools and other institutions:
school taught in chapel by curate 1720; school built 1782, and endowed 1841; closed; now village hall (Seathwaite Parish Room). Ulpha school stood in Dunnerdale with Seathwaite township (see Ulpha).