Township in Dearham parish, Allerdale below Derwent ward, Cumberland.
2,149 acres [870 ha], including 480 acres [194 ha] of common land enclosed 1827.
rising increasingly rapidly as coal mining expanded, doubling from 515 in 1821 to 1,037 by 1841 and rising to peak of 2,598 in 1891. Steady decline to 1,642 in 1971; then recovery to 2,028 by 2001.
manor of Dearham was divided into halves, one moiety, in hands of Barwis family, probably by 1400, passed by marriage of Grace Barwis (1609-1640) to Thomas Lamplugh of Ribton, in whose family it descended until 1722 when sold to Sir James Lowther. Other moiety was in hands of Thomas de Multon in 13th century, who granted it to Calder Abbey; it had been divided among freeholders by 1687.
extensive coal mining from 18th century; several pits closed second half of 19th century; Crosshow and Townhead pits reopened 1895 to 1903. Revival during First World War: Allbright Drift continued to operate until 1950. Pottery at Whistling Syke built by Aaron Wedgwood 1708; his brother Jonathan Wedgwood established Dearham Pottery on site which continued in operation until c.1900. Brick-making in 19th century.
Places of worship:
medieval parish church of St Mungo (modern dedication), an early foundation, to judge by wealth of pre-Conquest sculpture; restored 1882. Mission room by church built 1891. Wesleyan Methodist chapel built 1839; rebuilt 1888; still in use. Primitive Methodist chapel built 1856; closed.
Schools and other institutions:
school built and endowed by John Christian 1715. Replaced by Board school on new site, built 1874; now Dearham Primary School. Library of Dearham General Improvement Society founded 1855. Temperance hall built 1876. Village hall.