Ancient parish in Allerdale above Derwent ward, Cumberland, which included townships of Dean, Branthwaite and Ullock, Pardshaw & Deanscales. CP enlarged by absorbing Eaglesfield CP 1934.
6,528 acres [2,642ha], divided between constituent townships thus: Dean: 2,265 acres [917 ha]; Branthwaite: 2,264 [916 ha]; Ullock, Pardshaw & Deanscales: 1,999 acres [809 ha]. Common land totalling 2,300 acres [931 ha], much of it on Dean Moor, enclosed 1815.
estimated at 620 in 1688. Rising from 678 in 1801 to 876 in 1841, then falling to 582 in 1931 (last census year before boundary changes). Population of enlarged CP rose steadily to stand at 1,077 by 200
one of the Five Towns in honour of Cockermouth. Manor of Dean descended with honour until granted to Sir Thomas Wharton 1530; repurchased by duke of Somerset (lord of honour of Cockermouth) 1738/9. Manor of Branthwaite descended in Branthwaite family until passing by marriage to Robert de Whitrigg c.1320. On death of Sir Thomas Whitrigg, it passed to his sister Joan, wife of Thomas Skelton (d. 1365) and descended through Skelton family until 1757
largely agricultural until 19th century. Limestone and red and white freestone quarrying; lime-burning. Coal mined on Dean Moor by 1430s; colliery there from 18th century to 20th; closed 1951. Opencast mining later removed remaining deposits. Tile works on Dean Moor in mid-19th century. Woollen mill at Branthwaite in early 19th century; paper mill at Branthwaite by 1829; disused by 1898. Linen thread manufactory at Deanscales early 19th century.
Places of worship:
medieval parish church of St Oswald. Quakers met in open on Pardshaw Crag from 1650s; meeting house built at Pardshaw Hall 1672 and replaced by present building 1729 (closed for weekly worship 1923; later used as hostel). Wesleyan Methodist chapels at Pardshaw (built 1823; renovated 1879), Ullock (built 1870) and Branthwaite (built 1884, for congregation meeting in school room erected 1823)
Schools and other institutions:
grammar school at Dean church stile endowed 1596 by John Fox, native of Branthwaite; closed later 19th century. National school at Dean built 1863; enlarged 1871; now Dean CE Primary School. Quaker schoolhouse at Pardshaw Hall built 1745; continued until early 20th century. Reading rooms at Branthwaite (established 1884) and at Wesleyan chapel at Ullock. Village halls at Dean (Kirkstile Community Hall, dated 1912) and Ullock (former Methodist chapel, given to community 1950).