Township in Burton-in-Kendal parish, only part of parish to lie outside Westmorland in Lonsdale hundred, Lancashire. Transferred to Westmorland 1895. Absorbed into Burton-in-Kendal CP 1986.
2,167 acres [877 ha], including 58 acres [24 ha] of common land, enclosed 1815.
in range 100-150 across 19th century, with peak of 155 in 1841; stood at 86 in 1981 (last census year for which separate figure available).
manor of Dalton held by Croft family from 12th century until death of James Croft c.1457. On division of Croft estates 1489 Dalton was assigned to his daughter Mabel, wife of Piers Legh of Lyme and descended in Legh family until death of Peter Thomas Legh 1797. Sold to Rev. Geoffrey Hornby 1803 and remained with Hornby family (later Penrhyn-Hornby and Mason-Hornby) to 21st century.
agricultural; limestone quarrying and lime-burning in 19th century.
Places of worship: