Ancient parish in East ward, Westmorland. For Little Musgrave, a detached portion of parish, see Musgrave.
ancient parish (including Little Musgrave) contained 5,108 acres [2,067 ha], of which 3,900 acres [1,578 ha] constituted Crosby Garrett township. Part of commons, totalling 434 acres [176 ha], enclosed 1850; remainder of Crosby Garrett Common (2,033 acres [823 ha]) regulated 1884 under Commons Act 1876.
rising from 177 in 1801 to 245 in 1861. Temporary surge to 585 in 1871 as result of railway construction but fell back to 224 in 1881, since when decline across 20th century to low of 107 in 1971; stood at 112 in 2001.
manor of Crosby Garrett held by William de Soulby 1296; in possession of Musgraves by 1314 who held it until early 17th century, when it passed by marriage to John Davison of Co. Durham. Sold early 18th century to Thomas Gale of Whitehaven, who devised it to Rev. William Bird (d. 1746), rector of Crosby Garrett, whose grandson William (d. 1822), also rector, sold it. Held by Thompson family of Stobars Hall in 19th century.
predominantly agricultural; quarrying and lime-burning. Mill on Scandale beck converted to hand-loom weaver's shed c.1760. Station on Midland Railway’s Settle-Carlisle line opened 1876; closed 1952.
Places of worship:
medieval parish church of St Andrew; partly rebuilt 1866 and 1874; extensively restored 2010. Site of medieval chapel at Chapel Well by Scandale Beck. Mossgill Baptist chapel built privately 1815; described as ‘Presbyterian meeting house’ c.1830 but Baptist by mid-19th century; closed 1992. Wesleyan Methodist chapel built 1882; became United Chapel when Baptist chapel closed.
Schools and other institutions:
school endowed 1648; replaced by new, larger school 1865; converted into village institute and reading room when school was replaced by Board school 1894; school closed; now used as village hall.