Ancient parish in Leath ward, Cumberland, comprising townships of Croglin and Newbiggin. Most of parish (except small area added to Cumrew CP) absorbed into Ainstable CP 1934.
parish contained 7,112 acres [2,930 ha], divided between townships thus: Croglin: 4,986 acres [2,018 ha]; Newbiggin: 2,127 acres [861 ha]. Croglin High and Low commons and Croglin and Newbiggin townfields (5,900 acres [2,431 ha] in all) enclosed 1815.
estimated at 345 in 1688; rising from 169 in 1801 to peak at 362 in 1831; then dropping back to 190 in 1931 (last census year for which separate figure available).
manor of Croglin held by Hastings family from 12th century, passing by marriage to Wharton family c.1300; sold by trustees of duke of Wharton 1739 to duke of Somerset, owner of Egremont and Cockermouth Castle estates. Manor of Brackenthwaite and Newbiggin in hands of Dacre family by c.1500 and thus descending to earls of Carlisle.
farming; grouse-shooting; coal mining, quarrying (limestone, freestone, and marble or ‘porphyry’) and lime-burning in 19th century; livestock fair.
Places of worship:
medieval parish church of St John, rebuilt 1878, closed 2012. Wesleyan Methodist chapels at Newbiggin (built 1847; rebuilt on new site 1867) and Croglin (built 1877).
Schools and other institutions:
school taught in church 1704; endowed 1723; rebuilt on common midway between Croglin and Newbiggin c.1770; rebuilt 1866; closed c.1962. Reading room and library recorded 1901. Village hall and reading room built by subscription 1937.