Ancient parish in Eskdale ward, Cumberland. CP enlarged by absorbing Geltsdale 2003.
3,031 acres [1,227 ha], formerly divided into two quarters, Town and Outside Quarters; included 1,900 acres [769 ha] of common land on Castle Carrock Moor and Fell, enclosed 1805.
estimated at 360 in 1688. Rising from 252 in 1801 to peak of 383 in 1831, then declining to 271 in 1901. Secondary peak of 346 in 1921; then declining to stand at around 290 for much of later 20th century; 303 in 2001.
granted to Eustace de Vallibus in 12th century, whose descendants took surname Castle Carrock. Divided between heiresses; part subsequently came to Musgrave family, who by 1688 had sold part to earl of Carlisle and part to Dacre family.
largely agricultural; lime-burning in 19th century. Reservoir supplying water to Carlisle opened 1909.
Places of worship:
medieval parish church of St Peter; rebuilt 1826-28; ‘Normanised’ 1888-9. Independent (Congregationalist) chapel built 1853; closed and converted to dwelling. Primitive Methodist chapel built 1899; had closed by 1965.
Schools and other institutions:
parish school in village, recorded 1818, built with profits from land granted at enclosure of commons. Rebuilt on new site 1874; now Castle Carrock Primary School. Watson Institute (now Watson Hall), a tower-like structure containing a public hall, library and reading room, built 1897 and given to village by James Proctor Watson.