Extra-parochial township in Eskdale ward, Cumberland.
1,462 acres [592 ha]. Population: 50 in 1801; 29 in 2001.
part of honour of Penrith (q.v.); thus in hands of kings of Scots 1242-1295 and in gift of English Crown thereafter. Held by earl of Carlisle by 1688 and remained in hands of Howard family in 20th century.
Places of worship:
medieval church given to Lanercost Priory by Robert, son of Hubert Vaux, lord of Gilsland; last vicar recorded 1386. Site of church is not now known.
Schools and other institutions: