Township in Camerton parish, Allerdale below Derwent Ward, Cumberland. CP enlarged by absorbing Ribton CP 1934.
787 acres [318 ha], including Camerton Common (425 acres [172 ha]) enclosed 1830.
71 in 1801, rising as coal mining expanded to 245 in 1891; then falling back to 203 in 1931 (last census year before boundary change). Landownership: manor of Camerton descended with Seaton (q.v.) through Curwen family until sold by Joseph Curwen to Ralph Cooke of Kendal 1719; then descended through Cooke family (who rebuilt Camerton Hall 1833) until 1860s.
salmon fishing in River Derwent (recorded 1688); coal mining: colliery described as ‘rich’ 1688. Mining expanded after opening of Cockermouth & Workington Railway 1847. Fireclay brick works important in later 19th and early 20th century. Camerton Colliery closed 1932.
Places of worship:
medieval parish church of St Peter; rebuilt 1694 and again 1796
Schools and other institution:
infant school opened 1897. Isolation hospital (Derwent Joint Smallpox Hospital) on northern edge of township in 1920s; used as store sduring and after Second World War; since demolished.