Township in Brough parish, East ward, Westmorland.
1,097 acres [444 ha], including small area of common land, Brough Sowerby Common (35 acres [14 h
from peak of 180 in 1821, fluctuated in range 130-155 through rest of 19th century, declining to 78 in 1971 and rising since, to stand at 127 in 2001.
as Brough under Stainmore (q.v.).
predominantly agricultural; vegetable oil refining in 21st century.
Places of worship:
Primitive Methodist chapel built in iron 1897; replaced by new building 1972.
Schools and other institutions: