Township in Bromfield parish, Allerdale below Derwent ward, Cumberland. Enlarged by absorption of Blencogo and Langrigg & Mealrigg CPs 1934.
3,028 acres [1,225 ha] before boundary changes.
297 in 1801, rising to 411 in 1861 then falling to 324 in 1931 (last census year before boundary change).
township contained two manors. Manor of Bromfield was granted to Holme Cultram Abbey by Adam son of Thomas de Brunfield. After Dissolution, it passed ultimately to Osmotherleys of Langrigg Hall and from them in 1735 to Barwise family, through whom it passed with Langrigg Hall until sold 1876 to Joseph Bowerbank. Manor of Crookdake belonged to Musgrave family from 15th century until death of William Musgrave in 1664; then passed through his daughter, Anne, wife of Sir John Ballantine, to Ballantine (later Ballantyne-Dykes) family, who continued to hold it in 19th century.
predominantly agricultural; township was crossed by Maryport & Carlisle Railway (opened 1845), with station at Leegate, and by Solway Junction Railway (opened 1869).
Places of worship:
medieval parish church of St Kentigern (or Mungo); restored 1861.
Schools and other institutions:
endowed free grammar school founded 1612; restored 1861 and 1898, becoming public elementary school; closed.