Township in Bridekirk parish, Allerdale below Derwent ward, Cumberland. CP enlarged by absorbing Dovenby and Tallentire CPs 1934.
873 acres [353 ha] excluding Hames Hall area (171 acres [69 ha]), formerly detached portion of Dovenby, which was added to Bridekirk CP 1887; thereafter Bridekirk covered 1,044 acres [422 ha] until 1934 boundary change. Commons enclosed 1835.
in range 100-125 across early and mid-19th century, then drifting down from 139 in 1871 to 105 in 1931 (last census year before boundary change).
granted to Gisburn Priory (Yorks.) in 12th century. After Dissolution granted to Henry Tolson 1543, in whose family it descended; tenants enfranchised 1701. Woodhall was separate estate of Tolson family, which they sold 1707; had passed to Fisher family by mid-19th century. Hames Hill estate was owned by Senhouse family from 1655 until 19th century.
predominantly agricultural; limestone quarrying and lime-burning in 19th century.
Places of worship:
medieval parish church of St Bridget (containing richly-decorated 12th-century font); replaced by new building adjacent to old church (parts of which still stand) 1868; extended 2010
Schools and other institutions:
for parish school, see Dovenby.