Chapelry and township in Morland parish, West ward, Westmorland.
2,791 acres [1,130 ha]. Commons (557 acres [225 ha], including 22 acres [9 ha] of open fields, enclosed 1813.
324 in 1801; rising slowly to peak of 404 in 1881. Declined thereafter, falling to 262 in 1921; recovered during later 20th century to stand at 416 in 2001.
held in 1314 by Ralph de Greystoke; passed through several families before being sold to Lowthers. Estate at Bewley granted to bishops of Carlisle c.1170; they built Bewley Castle as retreat in 14th century.
Places of worship:
medieval chapel of ease, recorded 12th century; now church of All Saints; restored 1848. Primitive Methodist chapel built 1818; restored 1926; still in use.
Schools and other institutions:
school endowed 1721; rebuilt on same site 1856, and included reading room for township. Bolton Primary School now in modern building on different site. Eden Grove specialist residential school for children with learning and behavioural difficulties opened 1955; closed 2013. Memorial Hall built 1922.