Chapelry and township in Ulverston parish, Lonsdale hundred, Lancashire North of the Sands. Combined with Subberthwaite to form Blawith and Subberthwaite CP1986.
2,998 acres [1,213 ha].
170 in 1811, rising to 193 in 1861 and gradually falling to 101 in 1981 (last census year for which separate figure available).
granted to William de Lancaster, baron of Kendal, c. 1160; held jointly by manor of Ulverston and Conishead Priory from 1189; annexed to Duchy of Lancaster 1536; purchased 1736 by duke of Montagu, from whom it descended to dukes of Buccleuch.
farming; charcoal burning, 12th to 20th centuries; small-scale iron smelting, 13th-14th centuries; small-scale slate quarrying 17th to 20th centuries; pill-box manufacturing, 19th century.
Places of worship:
chapel of ease, recorded 1577; rebuilt 1749; replaced 1863 by new church of St John the Baptist on new site close by; declared redundant 1988 and sold 2011.
Schools and other institutions:
school taught in chapel in early 18th century. Separate schoolhouse erected 1747; replaced 1859; closed c.1965 and converted to dwelling. Blawith and Nibthwaite village hall at Water Yeat built c.1920.