Berrier and Murrah
Township in Greystoke parish, Leath ward, Cumberland. Absorbed into Mungrisdale CP 1934.
2,552 acres [1,033 ha]. Commons enclosed, with others in Greystoke manor, 1796.
fell from 136 in 1801 to below 100 by 1901; standing at 86 in 1931 (last census year for which separate figure available).
part of barony of Greystoke.
predominantly agricultural. Thomas Denton, writing 1688, noted a ‘very good horse course’ on moor at Berrier. Small-scale coal mining before 19th century. Lime-burning in 19th century.
Places of worship:
Schools and other institutions:
Berrier Endowed School built 1828; closed 1920s.