Township in Beetham parish, Kendal ward, Westmorland.
CP enlarged by absorbing Farleton and Haverbrack CPs 1935.
5,170 acres [2,092 ha], including hamlets of Arnside (q.v.), Hale, Hazelslack & Storth, and Whasset. Commons (930 acres [376 ha]) enclosed 1821.
(figures include Arnside until 1901): rising from 668 in 1801 to 1,196 by 1891. After loss of Arnside, stood at 619 in 1901; rose with growth of Storth to stand at 843 in 1931 (last census year before further boundary change).
manor of Beetham was in hands of Beetham family until 15th century when it passed (by purchase or forfeit after battle of Bosworth) to Stanley family, earls of Derby. Passed to Cliffords, who sold it 1767 to Daniel Wilson of Dallam Tower (in Haverbrack, q.v.) in whose family it descended.
farming, fishing and cockling, salt-making (as recorded in place-name Salt Cote). Kent estuary navigable up to Storth, where there were wharves in early 19th century; coastal trade declined after building of Arnside railway viaduct 1857 and resulting silting. Charter for market and fair granted 1311. Paper-making at Waterhouse mill from 18th century; continues as modern factory making specialist paper and cardboard. Limestone quarrying, lime-burning and gravel pits in 19th century. Garden centre established 1984.
Places of worship:
medieval parish church of St Michael (standing in Haverbrack township); restored 1873-5. Supposed medieval chapel of St John in Beetham. Mission room at Storth by 1897; became All Saints Mission Church (closed; converted to dwelling). Non-denominational chapel at Storth built early 20th century; purchased by Methodists 1935; now houses Storth Village Church (combined Anglican and Methodist).
Schools and other institutions:
ancient endowed grammar school; school built 1663; rebuilt at south end of village 1827; rebuilt again on adjacent site (on site of former toll house) 1905; now Beetham CE Primary School. Former (1827) building in use as reading room in 1911; purchased for use as community theatre (Heron Theatre) 1985. Storth school opened 1875; rebuilt on new site mid-20th century as Storth CE Primary School. Storth Institute (containing reading room and billiard room), replaced 1929 by village hall.