Ancient parish in Cumberland ward, Cumberland. CP enlarged by absorbing Grinsdale and Kirkandrews-on-Eden CPs 1934.
1,628 acres [659 ha]. Beaumont Moor enclosed 1680 or 1690. Common fields at Corn Holme and Lee Holme enclosed 1781.
estimated at 140 in 1688; 219 in 1801; peaked at 323 in 1821, then declined steeply after 1861 to stand at 188 in 1931 (last census year for which separate figure available).
manor of Beaumont held by Brun family, lords of Bowness, whose female heirs were bought out by Dacres, barons of Burgh, in 14th century; descended with Burgh barony thereafter.
soil rich; mostly arable farming in later 17th century, with fishing and fowling on marsh. Jetties on River Eden at New Sandsfield. Brick and tile works operated 1830s to 1870s. Reservoir for Carlisle Canal (1823) at Monkhill Lough.
Places of worship:
medieval parish church of St Mary; restored 1887-9; has served Kirkandrews-on-Eden as well since 1692. Wesleyan Methodist chapel at Monkhill built 1858; rebuilt 1904; still in use.
Schools and other institutions:
schoolhouse but no master in 1814 – parish was served by master at Kirkandrews.