Ancient parish in Allerdale above Derwent ward, Cumberland, comprising townships of Arlecdon, Frizington and Whillimoor. Parish became UD 1894, reverting to CP status 1934, when it was renamed Arlecdon and Frizington CP.
5,556 acres [2,248 ha], divided between constituent townships thus: Arlecdon: 1,570 acres [635 ha]; Frizington: 2,080 acres [842 ha] and Whillimoor: 1,907 acres [772 ha]. Frizington common (610 acres [247ha]) enclosed 1820; Arlecdon, Winder and Whillimoor commons (totalling 10,000 acres [4,047 ha]) enclosed 1823.
estimated at 430 in 1688. Rose from 354 in 1801 to 643 in 1851; then expanded dramatically with development of iron-ore mining and quarrying in 1850s, more than doubling to 1,550 by 1861 and reaching peak of 6,651 in 1881. Bulk of population lived in mining villages of Frizington and Rowrah. Thereafter population declined, dropping to 4,247 by 1951 and to 3,678 by 2001.
manor of Arlecdon was one of manors held by Fleming family from medieval period. Manor of Frizington sold to John Leigh in early 15th century; later owned by Williamson and Patrickson families; sold to Sir James Lowther, thus becoming part of Lonsdale estates. Other prominent landowners included Dixon family of Rheda in 19th and 20th centuries.
farming; cattle fairs held three times a year in Arlecdon until early 20th century. Coal mining by 1720s, when there was an ironworks at Frizington. Limestone quarrying, lime-burning and tile-making by mid 19th century. Rapid expansion in mining, especially for high-quality haematite iron ore, from 1850s. After demise of mining, some diversification: factory making Kangol hats in Frizington late 20th century.
Places of worship:
medieval parish church of St Michael, between Arlecdon and Asby; rebuilt 1829 and again 1904. Services held at schoolroom in Frizington by 1847; St Paul’s church built next to school 1867; building divided 2000 to create community space (the Lingla Centre). Mission room at Asby opened 1875. Wesleyan Methodist chapel at Chapel Row, Rowrah, built 1829; replaced by new building in village centre 1895. Wesleyan chapel at Frizington built 1859; rebuilt 1884; replaced by modern brick building (now St John’s Methodist Church). Primitive Methodist chapels at Asby (built 1875; open 1927) and Frizington (built 1876; replaced by adjacent new building 1894). Roman Catholics in Frizington worshipped in chapel at Catholic school from 1875; St Joseph’s RC Church built as an iron church 1890; rebuilt in stone 1896. Gospel hall of Plymouth Brethren at Frizington, built 1892.
Schools and other institutions:
school had been built by parishioners by 1778; private school at New Asby, recorded 1847. St Paul’s National School, Frizington, originated in parish school built 1838; rebuilt 1887; closed 1971. Board schools built at Frizington 1877 and Arlecdon 1878; now Frizington Community Primary School and Arlecdon Primary School. St Joseph’s RC School, Frizington, built 1871; replaced 1968. Reading rooms established at Frizington (Working Men’s Reading and Recreation Room 1862; St Joseph’s 1893), Arlecdon (Liberal Reading Room 1891) and Rowrah (1896). Council Chambers, erected 1898, included free library.