Extra-parochial place in Lonsdale hundred, Lancashire North of the Sands. Became CP following Extra-Parochial Places Act 1857, and merged with Seathwaite with Dunnerdale and Broughton West CPs to form Duddon CP 1976.
959 acres [388 ha] in 1921 Census, but fluctuated as result of coastal change and changes to Duddon channel. Around one-third to half had been enclosed, much of it recently, by 1587. Remainder mostly enclosed between 1796 and 1818.
36 in 1841, falling to 21 by 1951, and to 14 in 2001.
granted to Furness abbey 1299. After Dissolution leased to Preston family, who subsequently purchased it, together with rest of Abbey’s demesnes, 1608. Economy: peat digging from at least 13th century; gravel pit at Waitham Hill in mid-19th century.
Places of worship: