Township in Bromfield parish, Allerdale below Derwent ward, Cumberland. United with Westnewton to become West Newton and Allonby CP in 1866 but union was dissolved and Allonby became CP in its own right 1894.
1,340 acres [542 ha] including 490 acres [198 ha] of commons enclosed 1820. Sea banks and foreshore (44 acres [18ha]) remain common land. Population: over 700 in early 19th century, declining steadily to less than 400 in 1981, but rising to 462 by 2001.
manor of Allonby belonged to Allonby family, passing by marriage to Flimbys and from them to Blennerhassetts of Flimby, who held it in 17th century; sold 1700 to William Thomlinson, who enfranchised the tenants.
Saltpans and sea fishing by later 17th century. Herring fishery and fish curing grew in importance in later 18th century; c.50 boats involved in herring fishery by mid-19th century but it had declined by 1900. Allonby had become resort for sea bathing by mid-18th century: suite of baths built 1835 (defunct by 1901).
Places of worship:
chapel of ease (now Christ Church) built 1744; enlarged 1845. Quaker meeting house converted from cottage 1703; closed 1990. Congregational chapel built 1844; closed.
Schools and other institutions:
school endowed 1755; rebuilt as National school beside chapel of ease 1837; closed and later used as Sunday school. British and Foreign school built 1840; now Allonby Primary School. Almshouses for poor Quakers at North Lodge (built by Thomas Richardson early 19th century), established under scheme of 1854. Reading room and library built 1862; closed 1970s. Leisure centre, built 1992.