Conishead, from Augustinians to Buddhists Background Ulverston

Conishead Priory

Conishead Priory was originally founded as a hospital in the reign of Henry II, but became an Augustinian Priory some time in the c.1180s.  After the Dissolution of the Monasteries, it was acquired by the Sandys family, then the Doddings then the Braddylls.  In 1821, the old Priory buildings, much changed from the time of the canons, were demolished and a grand new house was built for Lt Col Thomas Braddyll. The build took 20 years, and contributed to Braddyll’s bankruptcy. After various owners, it became a convalescent home in 1930, run by the Durham Miners’ Welfare Committee until 1972.  In 1976, it was bought by a community of Buddhists, and is now home to the Manjushri Kadampa Buddhist community, who built a temple there in 1997