Township in Kendal parish, Kendal ward, Westmorland, which included Sizergh and part of Brigsteer. CP lost territory to Kendal borough 1935 and gained remainder of Brigsteer 1970.
3,327 acres [1,346 ha] before boundary changes (126 acres [51 ha] transferred to Kendal 1935). Commons (c.1,000 acres [405 ha]) enclosed 1855.
rising from 230 in 1801 to 360 in 1891; stood at 319 in 1931 (last census year before boundary changes). Modern CP contained 288 inhabitants in 2001.
manor of Helsington held by barons of Kendal (q.v.) and descended as part of Lumley fee. Manor house at Helsington Laithes in hands of Bellingham family of Levens by 1517, with whom it descended until 20th century. ‘Manor’ of Sizergh descended from Deincourts to Stricklands on marriage of Elizabeth Deincourt to Sir William de Strickland 1239; it remained with Strickland (now Hornyold-Strickland) family in 21st century. Sizergh Castle largely rebuilt by Walter Strickland in 16th century.
farming; peat-cutting (for Kendal market until 19th century). Marble works (polishing mill for ‘marble’ from local limestone) in mid-19th century (had closed by 1895). Saw mill converted to snuff mill by Gawith, Hoggarth & Co. in 1880s; closed 1991. New Sedgwick Gunpowder works established 1857; closed 1935. Tourism increasingly important from later 20th century.
Places of worship:
church of St John erected by subscription 1726; restored 1858. Domestic chapel at Sizergh Castle from 1431-2; Roman Catholic chapel there by 1773.
Schools and other institutions:
school recorded 1778; schoolhouse built 1790s. Replaced by new endowed school, built 1854; closed 1965; used as residential centre for children from Leeds area from 1987; redeveloped as bunkhouse 2013. Howard Orphan Home built 1865 to educate and train girls for domestic service; closed 1954. Village hall (former nissen hut) opened 1958; rebuilt 2010.