St Mary's,Wreay, by Sarah Losh 1842-4 Duddon Furnace, from Alfred Fell, The Early Iron Industry of Furness, 1908 Piel Castle, built by the monks of Furness Abbey 14th Century From Mogg's 1829 edn of Paterson's Roads (based on orig engraving by Paas, c.1784) Swinside stone circle Derwentwater from Castle Crag, from West's Guide to the Lakes, 1774.  For more images see Gallery Gleaston Mill Naworth Castle from Pennant's Tour to Alston Moor, 1801. For more images see Gallery Stocks and George III Jubilee Monument, Broughton-in-Furness Lanercost Priory, from Hutchinson's History of Cumberland 1794.  For more images see Gallery Old iron works jetty, Ulverston Penrith Castle, from Hutchinson's History of Cumberland 1794.  For more images see Gallery The Countess Pillar, Brougham, erected 1654 by Lady Anne Clifford in honour of her mother Grave of Adam Routledge, 1695, Bewcastle Charcoal Burners on Coniston Lake, from A P Brydson, Two Lakeland Townships, 1908 Dove Cottage, Grasmere Grasmere, from West's Guide to the Lakes, 1778.  For more images, see Gallery Hawkshead Courthouse - the manorial court for High Furness, under the monks of Furness Abbey 'Rosy fingered dawn'.  Inscription on Hampsfell Hospice, built by the vicar of Cartmel, 1846 Gypsum Mine, Acorn Bank

About us & what we do

The Cumbria County History Trust website is the major online resource for the history of Cumbria.  Our aim is to produce a permanent detailed record of the history of Cumbria from the prehistoric to the present day. Already more than 100 volunteers have been involved in writing  brief histories ("Jubilee Digests") of every one of the 344 parishes and townships in the county, which can be accessed via Township List on the 'Places' page, or via the search engine or the interactive map, opposite. In time full-scale histories of all those places will be posted- some are already available.  In addition, the Background Papers section provides information on a growing range of cross-county historical themes, while the Gallery contains thousands of photos and scans of old maps and prints, available for download. There are also useful Links, and Sources and Resources section, for everyone interested in pursuing the history of their local area for themselves.

The Cumbria County History Trust (CCHT) was launched in May 2010 to coordinate and gather resources for the Victoria County History of Cumbria project, a collaborative community project created to research and write the histories of all parts of Cumbria, within the framework and standards of the Victoria County History of England.

The VCH Cumbria project is overseen by Professor Angus Winchester and Dr Sarah Rose from the Department of History, Lancaster University, and is located within the Regional Heritage Centre.


CCHT is dependent for finance upon its members and upon its supporters and sponsors. The main funder of CCHT since its inception has been the Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society (CWAAS), without whom the project would never have got off the ground.

Latest News

Discover the precious fishing heritage of Morecambe Bay through the eyes of one of Cumbria's best known fishermen.


Join Morecambe Bay Partnership in celebrating Local & Community History Month as we shine a light on the great Maritime history of our Bay on Tuesday 12 May 2015, 14:00 to 16:30.


On Saturday 16 May the Regional Heritage Centre, Department of History, hold their final whole day event for the season, Recording the Past – making oral histories in the North West.

See all news items →

Interactive Map

Interactive Township map

Click on the map to find out more about the histories of individual places.


Keep up to date with our weekly digest of updates to the information on the Cumbria County History Trust website.