Township in Kirkby Stephen parish, East ward, Westmorland.
2,644 acres [1,070 ha]; approximately 1,090 acres [440 ha] of commons (including 90 acres [36 ha] of open field) enclosed 1817.
rising from 237 in 1801 to 309 in 1851; temporarily inflated to over 450 in 1861 and 1871 by labourers building railways; then drifting downwards from 275 in 1881 to 164 by 1991; stood at 286 in 2001.
manor of Soulby held by Soulby family before passing to Musgraves in early 14th century and descending in that family to 20th century.
predominantly agricultural; two annual cattle fairs established c.1797 and 1825 (recorded 1860 but had ceased by 1885). Quarrying and lime-burning in 19th century.
Places of worship:
chapel of ease (now St Luke’s Church) built 1662-3 (burial ground consecrated 1849); restored 1873. Wesleyan Methodist chapel built 1833; replaced by new chapel 1893; still in use.
Schools and other institutions:
school endowed 1768; replaced by new building on different site 1876; closed 1971. Reading room built 1903. Former school building became village hall 1976