4299 acres [1740 ha]. Moorland at Middle Moor and Long Moor, totalling 850 acres [350 hectares] was enclosed in 1818; a further 2,525 acres [1,004 ha] of common land on Renwick Fell were enclosed in 1864.
Estimated at 265 in 1687; 201 in 1801, rising to a peak of 375 in 1831; then falling to 174 in 1931 (last census year for which separate figures available).
Granted c.1120 to Staveley family; sold c.1290 to Harcla; forfeited on attainder of Sir Andrew Harcla 1323; granted to Robert of Eaglesfield 1328, and by him to his new foundation Queen’s College Oxford in 1341, with whom lordship of the manor remained until 20th century.
Coal mining recorded by 1620; continued until c.1865; lime kilns and freestone quarries; corn mill c.1400 – c.1880.
Parish church of All Saints, medieval in origin, rebuilt 1737 and 1845/6; Wesleyan chapel 1818, rebuilt 1905.
School at Linghouse (Scalehouses) c.1790-1830; National school 1838; Board/council school 1876, closed 1987.
Muniments of Queen’s College Oxford
Compiled by: Richard Alexander Allport Brockington
FULL HISTORY (DRAFT ARTICLE)
Papers in CWAAS Transactions
For more papers on this place, or papers about other places in Cumbria, search the CWAAS Transactions Index http://cumbriapast.com/cgi-bin/ms/main.pl?action=transactions
Images and maps (from Portsmouth University) on Old Cumbria Gazetteer
Renwick on Vision of Britain
Specific to this township:
this link gives a schedule of many Cumbria-specific sites, which cover several Cumbrian townships; each would need to be opened and searched using the FIND facility to see if any reference is made to this township..
this link gives a schedule of many national sites, which contain information about Cumbrian history; each would need to be opened and searched using the FIND facility to see if any reference is made to this township.
Keep up to date with our weekly digest of updates to the information on the Cumbria County History Trust website.