Township in Wigton parish, Cumberland ward, Cumberland. Absorbed into Woodside CP 1934.
2,878 acres [1,165 ha], including 1,527 acres [618 ha] of common land, enclosed 1835, and part of Wedholme Flow, which survives as unenclosed peat moss.
294 in 1801, rising to peak of 421 in 1851, then falling to stand at 271 in 1931 (last census year for which separate figure available).
manor of Oulton held by Dalstons of Dalston for many generations, until death of Sir George Dalston 1765, after which it was sold. In hands of Taylor family of Dockray Hall in late 18th/early 19th century.
predominantly agricultural; commercial peat extraction on Wedholme Flow in 20th century.
Places of worship:
Baptist chapel erected 1722; rebuilt 1832; later used as Primitive Methodist chapel; disused by 1984. Anglican services sometimes held in school in late 19th century.
Schools and other institutions:
school, recorded in name School House, established by 1847; new CE school built 1875; closed 1992. Parish Institute built 1924.