Township in Ulverston parish, Lonsdale hundred, Lancashire North of the Sands. Combined with Egton with Newland and Mansriggs CPs 2003.
1,929 acres [781 ha], including 750 acres [304 ha] of common land on Osmotherley Common, enclosed 1862.
rising from 218 in 1801 to peak of 474 in 1881; then falling across 20th century to 224 in 1981; stood at 234 in 2001.
manor of Osmotherley held by Osmotherley (‘Asmunderlaw’) family from Redmaynes of Levens from 13th century to c.1480s. In hands of earls of Derby in 16th century.
predominantly agricultural; small-scale quarrying (slate; flagstone) in 19th century. Sickle mill at Broughton Beck mid-19th century.
Places of worship:
chapel of ease of St John the Evangelist built 1874 (services previously held in school, using portable altar rails). Wesleyan Methodist chapel recorded 1831; no trace survives.
Schools and other institutions:
school built near Broughton Beck 1770; became public elementary school; closed 1927. Village hall at Broughton Beck (serving Osmotherley and Mansriggs), converted from water mill, donated to parish 1937.