Township in Caldbeck parish, Allerdale below Derwent ward, Cumberland. Absorbed into Mungrisdale CP 1934.
2,418 acres [979 ha], most of it unenclosed common land on slopes of Carrock Fell.
around 50 from 1841 to 1931, when separate figures were recorded.
subsidiary manor within manor of Caldbeck, held by lords of barony of Greystoke (q.v.).
predominantly hill farming; mining at Grainsgill and Brandy Gill: lead and copper from 16th century; tungsten and wolfram between 1854 and 1981.
Places of worship:
Quaker meeting house built (or enlarged) 1702; discontinued 1865; reopened briefly until 1913; used as Anglican chapel of ease c.1936-70; reopened for Quaker worship 1973.
Schools and other institutions: