Ancient parish in Leath ward, Cumberland. CP enlarged by absorbing Edenhall CP 1934.
2,012 acres [814 ha], including Langwathby Moor (494 acres [200 ha]), enclosed 1850.
estimated at 210 in 1688; rising from 226 in 1801 to 346 in 1861; temporary surge to 417 by 1871 when railway under construction; then falling to 287 by 1931 (last census year before boundary change). Population of enlarged CP stood at 575 in 1951 and increased to 748 by 2001.
manor of Langwathby was granted to Henry son of Swein early 12th century but became part of honour of Penrith (q.v.) from 13th century.
predominantly agricultural. Race course on Langwathby Moor 17th century. Station of Settle-Carlisle line of Midland Railway opened 1876. Feed mill/biofuel depot and chicken processing plant near railway from late 20th century.
Places of worship:
parish church of St Peter (united with Edenhall from 1380) rebuilt on site of medieval predecessor in 1718; extended 1836. Wesleyan Methodist chapel built 1860; enlarged 1900; still in use.
Schools and other institutions:
school (largely for girls) by c.1830. Parish school built 1867; replaced by new building on new site 1966; now Langwathby CE Primary School. Lending library established 1841. Reading room/public hall built 1904 (closed and converted to private house). Village hall opened 1931