Township in Ireby parish, Allerdale below Derwent ward, Cumberland. CP abolished on creation of Ireby (later Ireby & Uldale) CP 1934.
2,733 acres [1,106 ha], including 1,596 acres [646 ha] of common fell, enclosed 1816. Scawthwaite Myre, Gilltongue and Armathwaite Head had been enclosed by private agreement 1711.
fluctuating in range 100-150 for most of 19th and early 20th centuries, with peak of 185 in 1831; stood at 125 in 1931 (last census year for which separate figure available). Combined population in Ireby (later Ireby & Uldale) CP fell from 541 in 1951 to 428 in 2001.
manor of High Ireby granted in 12th century to Gospatric son of Orm, lord of Workington and Seaton, who gave it to his second son Orm, known as Orm de Ireby. It descended through his family for several generations but was in hands of Richard Orfeur of Plumbland by 1546, when he sold it to Anthony Barwis. Both High Ireby and Ruthwaite were sold by Richard Barwis to Sir Richard Fletcher of Cockermouth in 1636 and subsequently descended to Fletcher-Vane family of Hutton-in-the-Forest.
predominantly agricultural; some quarrying and lime-burning. Barytes mine at Ruthwaite from 1870s; closed by 1920.
Places of worship:
none, unless name Chapel House records a former chapel.