Holme St Cuthbert
Township in Holme Cultram parish, Allerdale below Derwent ward, Cumberland.
6,301 acres [2,550 ha], including 141 acres [57 ha] in small detached portions. Commons enclosed under Holme Cultram enclosure award 1814.
589 in 1801 rising to 822 in 1851, then falling back to 750 until 1901, since when gradual decline to c.400 by late 20th century.
part of Holme Cultram lordship (see Holme Abbey).
predominantly agricultural; windmills at Mawbray (working 1858) and Hards Mill, Aikshaw (disused by 1860s). Sand extraction near Tarns 20th century. Tourism (caravan parks) from later 20th century.
Places of worship:
possible medieval chapel of St Roche, dedicated 1327, near Tarns. Chapel of St Cuthbert, recorded 1538. (One of these perhaps recorded in name Chapel Hill near New Cowper). New church of St Cuthbert at Rowks erected 1845; tower built 1924. Quaker meeting house at Beckfoot built c.1690; rebuilt 1745; closed 1940 (used by Methodists until 1965). Wesleyan Methodist chapel at Mawbray built 1838 or 1843; closed and converted to housing c.2000. Wesleyan chapel at Foulsyke built 1898-9; closed 1992 and converted to dwelling. Congregational chapel at New Cowper built late 19th century; closed 1948; demolished 1970.
Schools and other institutions:
National school near St Cuthbert’s Church built 1845; became infant school when new Board school built nearby 1873; now Holme St Cuthbert School. School on sea front at Old Mawbray in 1860s. Reading room and library at Overby, established 1897. Village hall (Culterham Hall), Mawbray, opened 1951.