CP created 1894 from part of Appleby St Lawrence ancient parish, East ward, Westmorland. Hoff CP consisted of townships of Burrells and Drybeck and most of township of Hoff and Hoff Row.
former townships contained following acreages: Burrells: 692 acres [280 ha]; Drybeck: 1,371 acres [555 ha]; Hoff and Hoff Row: 1,818 acres [736 ha], totalling 3,881 acres [1,571 ha]. Hoff CP as constituted 1894 covered 3,660 acres [1,481 ha]. Common land at Burrells Moor enclosed 1774; Hoff and Drybeck commons (975 acres [395 ha]) enclosed 1830.
each of constituent townships had c.90 inhabitants in early 19th century. Population of Hoff CP was in range 180-200 across 20th century and stood at 189 in 2001.
manor of Hoff held by Sir Hugh de Morville late 12th century; descending to Moultons, lords of barony of Gilsland (see Brampton) with which it descended until purchased by William Williams (d. 1680) of Johnby Hall, from whom it descended to Winder and Milward families. By 19th century was in hands of Lord Hothfield, lord of barony of Appleby (q.v.), who also owned Drybeck and Burrells.
predominantly agricultural. Quarrying and lime-burning in 19th century; tile kiln on Burrells Moor late 19th century. Saw mill and bobbin manufacture at mill at Rutter Falls, which generated hydro-electricity to supply Asby in first half of 20th century.
Places of worship:
Wesleyan Methodist chapel in Hoff built 1895; closed and converted to dwelling. Anglican services held monthly in school room 1938.
Schools and other institutions:
CE elementary school (Oakbank School) built midway between Hoff and Drybeck 1865; closed; converted to dwelling c.2006.