Township in Beetham parish, Kendal ward, Westmorland, which included part of village of Beetham, including parish church. Absorbed into Beetham CP 1935.
658 acres [266 ha].
in range 90-120 across most of 19th and early 20th century; peak of 143 in 1891; stood at 82 in 1931 (last census year for which separate figure available).
manor of Haverbrack granted to Conishead Priory; after Dissolution, granted 1546 to William Thornburgh. Sold early 17th century to group intending to open lead mine on Kent estuary. Sold again mid-17th century to Edward Wilson of Nether Levens, ancestor of Wilsons of Dallam Tower, through whom it descended to 19th century. Dallam Tower rebuilt by Daniel Wilson 1720-5 and enlarged 1826. Economy: farming; quarrying and lime-burning. Large-scale limestone quarrying at Sandside Quarry, in operation by 1901; still worked. Heron corn mill (18th century), in operation until 1955; restored and opened to public as visitor attraction.
Places of worship:
medieval parish church of St Michael in Beetham village.
Schools and other institutions: