Ancient parish in Cumberland ward, Cumberland. Part of Belle Vue CP was added to Grinsdale CP 1913 and Grinsdale CP was absorbed into Beaumont CP 1934.
838 acres [339 ha], increasing to 1,425 acres [577 ha] after boundary change. Grinsdale Common (350 acres [142 ha]) enclosed 1808.
in range 90-115 before boundary change, with peak of 138 in 1821.
held of barony of Burgh by de Grinsdale family until c.1200, when divided between two heiresses; by 1271 moieties were held by Thomas de Newton and William de Sore. Newton’s moiety passed by marriage to Martindales in 14th century and later came to Dacres. Other moiety sold to Dentons of Cardew in 15th century; George Denton sold it to Sir John Lowther c.1686.
farming; fishery in River Eden. Bone manure works at Grinsdale Bridge by 1860s; tar distillery there by 1900; both closed mid-20th century.
Places of worship:
medieval parish church of St Kentigern, ruinous before rebuilding in 1738-40; further restoration 1895.
Schools and other institutions:
parish served by school at Kirkandrews on Eden, as beneficiaries of Pattinson Charity. Village hall: built as recreation hall or reading room early 20th century; burnt down 1934 and rebuilt on smaller scale 1935.