ALLHALLOWS: a parish and townshipin Allerdale Below Derwent ward, Cumberland.
1692 ac [685 ha]. Allhallows Common was included in Aspatria & Brayton enclosure award of 1825.
173 in 1801 rising slowly to 222 in 1871; then big jump rising to 968 in 1911 (as a result of coal-mining and the creation of Fletchertown colliery village) with subsequent fall to around 500 (fluctuating) in late 20th century.
Appears to have been divided from an early date. Upmanby descended with Blennerhassett (q.v.). The manor of Whitehall came into the hands of Lancelot Salkeld (d. 1610) and remained with his descendants until it passed via the marriage of Henry Salkeld (d. 1749), the last male of the family, and Margaret Charlton of Hesleyside (Northumb.) to her nephew William Charlton. By 1861 the manor house at Whitehall was in the hands of George Moore. Harby Brow was another small estate, held by the Highmore family by the 15th century. Part was sold in 1595 by Francis Highmore; later owners included the Blencow and Steel families. It subsequently passed to the Charltons, owners of the manor of Whitehall.
coal-mining by 1860s. Priestcroft colliery closed 1863 but was succeeded by Allhallows Colliery, sunk in 1874 by I and W Fletcher, whose name was perpetuated in the colliery village of Fletchertown. It initially struggled to make a profit but finally closed in 1928 opened or expanded by Allerdale Coal Co. in 1880's.
Parish church of All Saints (probably 12th century) was replaced by a new church on a different site in 1898. A Wesleyan Chapel was built in Fletchertown in 1894.
A school with 25 pupils listed in 1818; parish school built 1855 by subscription taking 250 children. The George Moore Memorial Hall erected in 1879 as a memorial to a l merchant and philanthropist, contained ‘reading and recreation rooms; library and a room for religious purposes’.
Hudleston & Boumphrey, Cumberland Families and Heraldry; Oliver Wood, West Cumberland Coal 1600-1982/3
Compiled by: Eric Charles Apperley/AJLW
Keep up to date with our weekly digest of updates to the information on the Cumbria County History Trust website.